Friday 14 September 2012

Friday Night Basketball!


On Friday, Audrey, a teacher at my school, gave me free tickets to see Unicaja Malaga play CB Murcia in a basketball friendly.
I didn't know who to root for. While on one hand I had actually been to Malaga thanks to it's airport, en route to Marbella, on the other hand, Murcia has some seriously tasty sausage.
My gut instinct told me to root for Murcia.


All previous sporting events that I'd been to in the past, be it baseball, football, rugby etc. have included beer, loud noises and most likely some form of heckling of the opposite team.
Here, people were drinking Nestea and Coca-Cola, a good play was recoginised with polite applause and well, heckling requires some sort of enemy. Both team were supported, although perhaps there were more Malaga fans. It's hard to tell without the heckling.


Coming up, a series of action shots.





There were two players from the Spanish national team (who won silver at the Olympics). One olympian on each team.



During half time, a stampede of children ran on to the court and queued up to take shots at the basket. If they made it they would win 6 free pizzas from Telepizza.
Most of them didn't make it first time, but the organisers were so nice, the children were allowed to repeat until they made it.


Trophies came out at the end of the game. I wasn't entirely sure what they're for. To me a trophy is presented at the end of a tournament, but I was pretty sure this game wasnt a big final. But it was nice to have a trophy anyway.



All in all, it was a really good game, faced paced and lots of scoring. I'm no basketball expert but I had a good time. It was a great atmosphere, really family friendly unlike other sports events. Murcia won, probably because of the amazing sausage!


No comments:

Post a Comment